Thursday 3 April 2014

Tin foil roses a tutorial ....... finally


Simple Stunning and Sparkly 
all the things this lady likes
This Tutorial is just from me doing my thing I'm no teacher neither am I trained to do these things 
I am a crafter ! and I have learnt how to do these things by research and trial and error 
I just thought I would share my way of doing these fab roses with you. 


before I begin showing you how I made these I would like to take a minute to say that I don't believe in buying tools for every thing but there are a few bits that you will need 

these are the tools that I used 
a roll of tin foil 
(from my local pound shop) 
a glue gun and glue 
scissors 
florist wire 
(available on line and most craft stores I used an 18 gauge wire cut to 14 inches) 
a hand held paper crimper 
(available from most craft or childrens shops or on line) 
and a covering for my table 
(as I tend to make a bit of a mess with the glue gun.) 

With the florist wire I would just like to put that the gauge is up to you I just find that the 18g is good for what I use the roses for. 
(on a side note with florist wire etc the higher the gauge number the thinner the wire)
As with all crafts etc how big you make your roses will depend on what you want them for and you will need to adjust quantities of foil and sizes of petals to accommodate the size you wish to make 
I will let the pictures do most of the talking so I don't bore you too much

Step 1 
tear you foil so it will fit in your crimper 
but allow for a tri fold to give it strength 






once you have torn and folded all the foil you need then its time for 
Step 2
passing the foil through the crimper
I advise passing through at least 3 times each time the opposite way to which you did it before 



your foil segments will feel semi ridged more so than standard foil 
and have a waffle type appearance 

Step 3 
grab your scissors and start cutting 
you are looking to cut petal shapes out of your foil 
I always start at a corner as that way I can cut more than one petal 
of different sizes from each piece thus saving wastage 
you will want several sizes of petals depending on what size you want your finished rose to be 

 once you have cut all your petals out arrange them into rough sizes 
I separated mine into 4 different sizes 

Now to the fun part 
Step 4 
Assembling your rose 
warning hot glue gets very hot and will burn you 
(I have several burn blisters to prove it ) 

taking your wire and a small petal bend the petal around the wire so you have a well in which to put the hot glue like so 
with the hot glue in place roll your wire in the glue then fold the petal round to form the center of your rose 

then you are ready to build your rose one by one add your petals 
making sure that each petal overlaps the one before 



continue until you have reached your desired size 
increasing petal sizes where necessary.



and there we go one foil rose 

each one costing pennies! 
but looking very expensive indeed 
why not get a little adventurous and add some leaves to the stem ?
(like so )

No comments:

Post a Comment